THE GOLDEN STEERING WHEEL
…is the leading car award in Europe. The award was founded in 1976 by publisher Axel Springer. Since then it has developed into an international acclaimed award. The award is presented together by Germany’s largest Sunday newspaper BILD am SONNTAG and the world’s largest car magazine AUTO BILD, which are published by the Axel Springer AG. Each year, 73 million readers and a highly qualified jury of race drivers, technicians and motor journalists as well as celebrities test and vote. In the process, the members of the four jury groups assess varying criteria based on their automobile know-how. The ceremonial awarding of THE GOLDEN STEERING WHEEL took place in November 2012 in the Axel Springer publishing house in Berlin with attendance from top managers of the car industry and guests from economy, politics and media.
In 2012, THE GREEN STEERING WHEEL was presented for the sixth time for the best environmental innovation. Following the voting of the readers, an international jury consisting of experts from politics, environmental associations as well as the car industry and car clubs, make the final decision.Since 1983, each year also THE HONORARY STEERING WHEEL is presented for extraordinary achievements in the automobile industry. Axel Springer himself handed over the first HONORARY STEERING WHEEL to Henry Ford II, the founder’s grandson of Ford Motor Company.
- Small Cars
- Compact Class
- Middle & Upper Class
- Special category: THE GREEN STEERING WHEEL
- Special prize: THE HONORARY STEERING WHEEL
- 73 million readers
- Motor journalists
- Race drivers
- In 2012, 44 cars were nominated in six different categories, which are voted by readers and the jury depending on each category.
- There is one special category: THE GREEN STEERING WHEEL is given to the best eco innovation.
- There is one extra prize: THE HONORARY STEERING WHEEL is a personal award, which is given to a person for extraordinary achievement.
- In two categories only readers of all participating countries can vote. In the other four categories the international experts judge.
- The winner of THE GREEN STEERING WHEEL as well as THE HONORARY STEERING WHEEL are voted by the experts.
- July-September: Readers voting
- October 1-3: Test days in Balocco, Italy
- November 7: Award ceremony in Berlin