THE GOLDEN STEERING WHEEL
…is the leading car award in Europe. The award was founded in 1976 by publisher Axel Springer. Since then it has developed into an international acclaimed award. The award is presented together by Germany’s largest Sunday newspaper BILD am SONNTAG and the world’s largest car magazine AUTO BILD, which are published by Axel Springer SE. Each year, 78 million readers and a highly qualified jury of race drivers, technicians, motor journalists and designers as well as celebrities test and vote. In the process, the members of the five jury groups assess varying criteria based on their automobile know-how.
The ceremonial awarding of THE GOLDEN STEERING WHEEL took place in November 2013 in the Axel Springer publishing house in Berlin with attendance from top managers of the car industry and guests from economy, politics and media. In 2013, THE GREEN STEERING WHEEL was presented for the seventh time for the best environmental innovation. Following the voting of the readers, an international jury consisting of experts from politics, environmental associations as well as the car industry and car clubs, make the final decision.
Since 1983, each year also THE HONORARY STEERING WHEEL is presented for extraordinary achievements in the automobile industry. Axel Springer himself handed over the first HONORARY STEERING WHEEL to Henry Ford II, the founder’s grandson of Ford Motor Company. Readers can vote for their favorite nominees in all categories, except of THE HONORARY STEERING WHEEL. The winner of this category is voted by a jury that consists of representatives of Axel Springer AG.
- Small / Compact Cars
- Middle Class
- Upper / Luxury Class
- Cabriolets / Coupés (Readers’ choice only)
- Vans (Readers’ choice only)
- Special category: THE GREEN STEERING WHEEL
- Special prize: THE HONORARY STEERING WHEEL
- 73 million readers
- Motor journalists
- Race drivers
- In 2013, 49 cars were nominated in six different categories, which are voted by readers and the jury depending on each category.
- There is one special category: THE GREEN STEERING WHEEL is given to the best eco innovation.
- There is one extra prize: THE HONORARY STEERING WHEEL is a personal award, which is given to a person for extraordinary achievement.
- In two categories only readers of all participating countries can vote.
- In the other five categories the international experts judge beside the readers’ votes.
- Only the winner of THE HONORARY STEERING WHEEL is voted by a jury that consists of representatives of Axel Springer SE.
- August-September: Readers voting
- September 29-30: Test days in Balocco, Italy
- November 12: Award ceremony in Berlin